Scripting NVDA

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 18:01:44 -0400

I read the NVDA developer guide. I found it to be well-written for what it covers, but lacking enough information for someone to script NVDA to maximize usability of a particular application (unless someone is already familiar with NVDA internals). I could not find a comprehensive list of events or convenience methods for inspecting an application. I suspect the NVDA source code includes methods for getting and setting various properties of controls without having to execute various Windows API calls.

Also, I could not find any complete app modules that illustrate a full customization of an application via Python scripting. The appmodules directory, in which such modules are supposed to be placed, is empty by default. Where are the modules for Firefox, Thunderbird, Office applications, etc? Is all that handled by hard coded routines within the core of NVDA?

I may be missing something, so welcome any answers to these questions or pointers to material with more information.