Re: Screen Readers And Cloud Computing

  • From: Trouble <trouble1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 17:07:31 -0500

not sure about this one, you saying that dragon2.0 for iPhone and iPod is ran from the cloud? Because the info on site don't say anything about it having to use the web. Just the social apps on the iPhone or iPod like, sms, email and doing texts.

it acts just like dragon does on windows.
At 04:04 PM 1/15/2011, you wrote:
It is probably a good idea to elaborate on the term Cloud Computing for your
particular needs.  Cloud Computing is by definition very general and vague.
Usually Computer Architects, Network Architects, and their Managers use
PowerPoint presentations that show a local office network, say in New York,
magically connected to a remote office, say in London, by drawing a physical
puffy cloud in between them connected by simple lines.  It is not concerned
about all of the technical details about the backbones and routers in
between the two offices.  It is not important for their purposes.  It is
treated like a black box.  It just magically gets there through the cloud.

Now they use this cute little cloud drawing to represent computing services
provided out on the Internet, somewhere out in the cloud.  This can be any
service to any type of device.  It could include reading Gmail on the web,
having Dragon recognize your voice from an IPhone, a video game server
delivering rendered images to a TV set top box, or surfing the web from a
ChromeOS netbook (which has no knowledge of local storage).  The user still
is not concerned about what hardware gmail is running on or where it is
located.  As has been the old argument between dumb terminals / central
computing and local desktop computing, there is again a debate on which is
best and where the control and data should be based.  I personally like a
copy of my data locally.  Another problem with Cloud Computing for the blind
community is that services on the cloud get updated automatically, which can
break accessibility.  Cloud services may also go down, lose connection, or
on rare occasion lose data.  Of course desktop / personal computing also has
different, but similar problems.

Much of Cloud Computing today is web based services and all that is needed
from a screen reader is just being able to adequetely able to support the
browser features.  This might include active regions or Web Applications
support.  Of course, it does not have to be browser based, like the Dragon
iPhone App and require a completely different Access Technology solution.

Don Marang

There is just so much stuff in the world that, to me, is devoid of any real
substance, value, and content that I just try to make sure that I am working
on things that matter.
Dean Kamen