RE: Scanner/Stuff...

  • From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 12:58:53 -0400

Hi Chris,
If you aren't a member, you can sign up to be one. You have to verify your
disability by getting a doctor or blindness organization to do that for
you. Anyone, sighted or blind, member or not, can be a volunteer. If you
are a member and a volunteer, you get credit toward your membership fee if
you either scan or validate. You just have to fill out an online form
saying that you want to volunteer so that the system knows about you. The
rules are that you can't scan and upload, then download and validate the
same book. Someone must scan and another person must validate.

Looking forward to seeing the book.

james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810

"it is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis." --
Margaret Bonnano

Highmark internal only: Consider Usability Engineering On Your Next Project
or release. http://highwire.highmark.com/sites/iwov/hwt093/

             "Chris Hofstader"
             <chris.hofstader@
             knology.net>                                               To
             Sent by:                  programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             programmingblind-                                          cc
             bounce@freelists.
             org                                                   Subject
                                       RE: Scanner/Stuff...

             05/21/2008 10:07
             AM

             Please respond to
             programmingblind@
               freelists.org

Hi,

I'm happy to say that our new scanner arrived yesterday and that we're
setting it up as I type.  We'll do a few little experiments and when things
look happy, we'll scan the Drupal book.  I'm sorry it's taken so long to
get
to this but we'll be faster in the future.

We cannot pledge to do more than scan one book per week and Susan will do
her best to verify it in the same time period.  With that said, this is a
fast, scanner with a relatively large duplex sheet feeder so the scanning
itself should go very quickly.  The scanner came with OmniPage Pro which
we'll try to use to avoid the cost of Fine Reader.  If the quality is too
poor to continue, we'll switch OCR engines.  My experience with OpenBook,
though, suggests that OmniPage is nearly as good as Fine Reader but that
opinion results from four year old tests run without a framework that would
eliminate subjectivity.

Once we're done scanning this one, I'll send it off to Jamal and Jackie (I
remember someone else had volunteered to do some verification work but I've
forgotten who).

Although I contract with BSO, I don't know their procedures for submitting
books.  If one of their volunteers will speak up, I would like to learn the
procedure.  What happens if two parties unknown to each other submit the
same book at approximately the same time?  I'd assume this would happen
with
Harry Potter and other smash hits and not Drupal tutorials but in the world
of geekdom, one never knows nor can one ever imagine knowing.

So, let's start a book club.  People can nominate books, we'll have a vote
on which comes next and someone will volunteer to pay for it and have it
sent to our house.  I will pay for some, certainly those I nominate but my
choices jump to the head of the line because I'm a selfish bastard and are
not likely to have more than a passing interest to most people here as I
tend to read a lot about cognitive linguistics and other stuff that simply
bores other people to suicidal ideation.

Happy Hacking,
cdh