Re: SQL & VStudio 2008

  • From: "Bryan Schulz" <b.schulz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 10:06:29 -0500

rick,

have you tried revo?

Bryan Schulz

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: RicksPlace
  To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 4:40 AM
  Subject: Re: SQL & VStudio 2008

  Hi Kath: I read many, many posts on Google about manually removing files,
deleting things from the Registry and other fixes which I tried with no
success. There is a MS program that you can download and is suppose to remove
remnants and it did remove a couple of left over files from another application
but not the SQL Instance. If you are using MySql and happy with it I would just
stick with it. You can still likely install SQL Server even with the hanging
instance by just downloading the complete basic package, I think it was the
Engine with Tools, and in the place in the Download screen where it asks you
for an instance name  just change it from something like SQLServerExpress to a
name of your choice like SQLServer2008 or KathsSQLServer. That way you can
download a new instance of the server. Now, this is if youhave the hanging
instance problem. As I mentioned, trying to uninstall it takes trying to check
which modules to remove in the install window of the Add / Remove Dialog in the
Control Panel - at least that is where it is in Windows XP Pro. There is a
fellow on list who has coded up a script to install SQL Server who might be
able to help customize one for your machine if he is still floating around.
That might be a good option to get around knowing all about the many optional
feature settings and the accessibility tweaking to install that puppy if you
decide to go that route. I had written  a step by step instruction set for
downloading and installing it using WindowEyes some time agobut that was for
working in Windows XP and using WindowEyes. I don't recommend the beginner try
and install that massive database but it is the one MS uses other than their
SQL Server Compact Edition which is a simple file handling engine that just
adds a datafile to your program and does not require a Server at all in
reality. It is called an Embedded DataBase instead of a Server Based Database.
I am not sure where you can download it from, it was a part of the Sql Server
Download when I downloaded and installed Sql Server 2008 some time ago. Anyway,
to make a long story short:
  One; If happy with MySql stay with it,
   Two; There should be some way to get SQL Server with default settings
without going through that messy Installation Center and,
  Three; If you want to try and install it let me know and I will see what I
can dig up on my experience including that step by step - if I still have it
floating around.
  A quick note to any reader, always take a restore poinyt before downloading
any software so you can restore your system if something goes wrong.
  Later:
  Rick USA
   .