Re: Questions About Making Or Controlling Sounds

  • From: Veli-Pekka Tätilä <vtatila@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 23:36:20 +0300

Hi Inthaneelf  et al,
Let me nitpicka little:
Wave and ogg are audio file formats, MIDI is just musical data so you
are comparing apples and oranges here. How MIDi sounds like depends on
the device rendering the MIDi data though this is in most cards just an
average general MIDI or general sound set based on sample playback,
which does not sound good on most of these synths and sample sets.

Also, if you want to pan MIDI sources around it is continuous controller
number 10 where the value 0 is hard left, 64 is center and 127 hard
right. Whether a device can change the pan position during a note on,
without having to turn off one note and start another with a different
pan setting, is also device dependent. I've seen GM devices that cannot
do that.

Also, though DirectX allows you to play with DirectMusic, which is
software manipulatable MIDi and SoundFont like DLS playback in software,
that's about all you can get, or that's my basic understanding. The last
time we talked about this there was no good MIDi API for dot net as
standard, you'll have to go with the old Windows multimedia functions
I'm afraid. Petzold has the basics in Programming Windows 5th Ed.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~vtatila