RE: Python and Mac Speech with Voiceover

  • From: "Michael Malver" <mmalver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 17:23:19 -0600

Will Glassfish work with this new tool?

-----Original Message-----
From: programmingblind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:programmingblind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Andreas Stefik
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2010 2:32 PM
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Python and Mac Speech with Voiceover

By the way, I was going to say, we've been working to get voice over support
going on our end. Sadly, it's not as easy as the others and, so far as we
can tell, is OS dependent (10.5, 10.6). There's one developer on our team
working on getting it working for 10.5 right now, but it's tough going.

With that said, if you just care about speech, but not voice over
specifically, you can use the Say command, which works pretty well.
We have some scripts for that if you want to steal them (it's open source,
after all).

Stefik

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Andreas Stefik <stefika@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

        Is the code for your NVDA controller DLL available? I didn't see it
up there. We've been considering adding support on our end for that reader
as well. Our project is also open source under GPL 2. If you didn't mind, it
might be nice to see or otherwise hijack parts of it for our project as
well. Since we connect from Java for our code, though, we'd need to make a
Java wrapper, but that parts easy.

        Anyway, looks cool,

        Stefik

        On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Storm Dragon
<stormdragon2976@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

                Hi,
                I am working on an audio game written in Python called
Pyngpong. Part of the goals for this game is to make it work in Linux,
Windows, and mac. So far, I have support for Linux, and support for Windows
has just been added very recently, but I don't have access to a Mac, and
haven't been able to find anyone else either. So, if you happen to have a
Mac, and know Python, please let me know if you would be willing to help.
Adding the required support for voice over shouldn't be very difficult if
the last 2 platforms are any indication. In Linux speech-dispatcher is used,
in Windows NVDA is used, and hopefully Mac support can be provided through
Voiceover.
                The invitation for coders also extends to anyone who wants
to help with the game mechanics too. I am kind of stuck on actually getting
the ball rolling lol. You can find the project at:
                http://code.google.com/p/pyngpong
                If you are interested in becoming a coder for this project
please let me know and I will add you.
                Thanks
                Storm

--