Re: Python?

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 13:33:44 -0500 (EST)

One other disadvantage I have encountered using Python with speech relates
to the number of syllables one has to hear.  Recommended style is to
delimit strings with a single rather than double quote (though either may
be used).  By my count, apostrophe is four syllables compared to one for
quote.  A similar issue is with the special object properties that begin
and end with double underscore sequences, e.g., __init__ -- that's six
syllables before the word and six after!  This can be annoyingly verbose
at times, e.g., when querying the attributes of an object in the
interactive environment.  Of course, this is a relatively minor issue, but
I am mentioning it too in the spirit of listing all screen-reader factors
that come to mind.

What impresses me about Python, perhaps more than anything else, is how
organized, dedicated, and sophisticated the community is.  There are
numerous, well-known Python experts besides the lead author.  There are
more Python conferences than for any other scripting language.  Python 3
is out, but Perl 6 is not even close.  Ruby 1.9.1 was finally released
officially, but without a usable version for Windows, and based on the web
site and my inquiries to a WxRuby list, a solid Windows version will not
be coming any time soon!