Re: Programming Webpages Using JAWS

  • From: "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 23:25:22 +0200

I don't know what the original poster was referring when he told about templates, but usually the word "templates" when talking about web apps, are template files used by many templating systems.

The templating systems can be used not only for creating web pages, but also text files with a special format, or other kind of files.

For example, a template using Template-Toolkit in perl, could look like:

[% INCLUDE header.tt %]
[% INCLUDE content.tt %]
[% INCLUDE footer.tt %]

Where the header.tt template file could contain the first part of an html page as:

<title>[% site.title %]</title>
</head><body>

and footer.tt could contain the end of the page as:

and content.tt could contain the content as:

<h1>[% title %]</h1>
<ul>
[% FOREACH client IN clients %]
[% END %]
</ul>

There are very simple templating systems like HTML::Template prefered by those who say that the design part and the programming part should be not mixed at all, or more complex templating systems like Template-Toolkit, that allows very advanced things.

Using any kind of templates is always prefered, even if they require a little more to learn at the start, but I think that using them is the most important step towards a better productivity and a more consistent web app.

I have also started by mixing programming code with HTML, which many PHP programmers use although that everyone knows that it is not recommended, I have also used to use things like:

print <<EOF;
...the page content...
EOF

but this way is very horrible and hard to maintain.

It is much elegant to use templates, which can be given to professional web designers that can create a better design of web pages, and then those templates could be used by the program, without needing to change the code of the program because a template was changed. Also a web app could choose to use from more templates, offering more types of design, depending on the user's preferences.

I have also created my own templating system that was very simple, very fast, but also very limited and impossible to improve, so finally I've chosen to try those templating systems, and I found that they are very useful that i've used them even for creating static web pages because it was much more simple to make updates than to manually change a lot of pages.

There are templating systems for all the most important languages that can be used for creating web apps, so you won't have any problem in finding them, no matter what language you use.

Octavian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim" <jhomme1028@xxxxxxxxx>