Problem solved with syntax errors on this code, I feel foolish.

  • From: Jes <theeternalkid@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 01:45:09 -0400

Well, I figured it out. To many semicolons. You don't need a semicolon ;
character until you are completely done with your C++ statement. In effect, in
C++ statements, the semicolon is like putting a period at the end of an English
sentence. I was typing:
cout << "this "; << endl;
When in reality, I should have typed:
cout <<"this" endl;
I was putting the semicolon in the wrong place, making the compiler think I was
ending one C++ statement.  Then it didn't know what to do with the <<endl; part
of the code, since both statements were on the same line, it treated them as
one statement. And of course, the compiler isn't smart enough to realize that
the << endl; is part of the same statement, so it thinks you've completed a
statement, when in fact you haven't. Wow, I'm actually learning something here.
Jess