PHP framework?

  • From: "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 12:32:49 +0300

Hi,

Does anyone know a PHP framework which is at least as good, or almost as good
as Ruby on Rails or Catalyst?

I have tried a few, but all of them have many things I don't like.

Zend Framework seems to be nice, but it doesn't have a powerful enough ORM. It
has a way of accessing the databases using objects, but it is very basic.
In order to use templates, I should do the same things like in a common simple
PHP program.
I think it doesn't have easy ways to use AJAX either.
It is nice because just like Catalyst, it doesn't need to define the
dispatching for each URL type, because it discovers it automaticly, but the
dispatching style is very limited comparing with Catalyst.
And all the files must be created manually! But I can live with this issue.

Symfony seems to be good, but I have seen that it uses yaml style configuration
files, and I don't know if instead of using those files we can use something
else which is more accessible for the blind. Do you know if it is possible?
However, it is not extraordinary, because for each URL type, the programmer
must define the rules of dispatching the URL to the right action.

Seagull also needs to define the URL to its corresponding action, and this is
not nice at all, because on each change, that definition must be changed.
The guys that made it say that it is easier to use than other PHP frameworks,
but I saw that it seems much complicated actually.

I heard that CakePHP is a kind of copy of Ruby on Rails, but some programmers
say that it is not a good copy, because it runs slow when more than 3 tables
must be used in a select.
However, I haven't tested yet, so I don't know.

I don't know if you have used Catalyst in order to be able to make a
comparison, but please tell me at least if you know that there is a good PHP
framework that uses the MVC style, can use an ORM, templates, has
authorization/authentication modules, can access MySQL and Oracle databases,
can make the dispatching of URLS without making settings for each URL type
separately.
Many other things are important, but at least it should do these things.

I was 100% sure that for PHP there should be more frameworks which are very
good, but I am not sure anymore...

Octavian