Re: PDF generated by LaTeX; Vinux Solution

  • From: "Don Marang" <donald.marang@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 16:52:54 -0500

For many documents I write, I edit the files in Ed Sharp in Windows 7. I then switch to a Vinux window within VMware, open a terminal window, and type in the pandoc command to convert markdown text to html. This is made very easy using the preconfigured Vinux Virtual Edition, which enables shared folders. If you write your input files, text in my case, within C:\VinuxShare directory or it's subdirectories, it will be available in Vinux as /mnt/hgfs/VinuxShare. It might seem like a lot of typing, but with file completion, it is quick even for a one hand typist like me. When typing a directory or filename, you only need to type enough to make it unique, then press Tab, it will fill in the rest. Once I have converted the file, it is easy to go back and fix typos, add content and formatting. Just go back to the Vinux terminal window and press the Up Arrow, it will recall the last command, which is the pandoc command, and hit Enter.

Don Marang

There is just so much stuff in the world that, to me, is devoid of any real substance, value, and content that I just try to make sure that I am working on things that matter.
Dean Kamen