RE: On databases again - front ends

  • From: "Ken Perry" <whistler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 00:14:40 -0700

Well I agree that using the command line client for geeks like us is the
best.  Unfortunately I have 3 projects 1 for my wife's business (highest
priority), one for fun (second highest ), and one for work (I will get it
done when they pay me well enough).  The problem is the users that will be
using this are not geeks like us.  Well not counting my wife.  She still is
not a Database or coding geek but that is neither here nor there.  The
problem comes in when you go to make the interface for people to use the
database you create.  For those of you out there tell me if I am wrong with
the following assumption.

Access is accessible as long as I stick to wizard designed forms which
really limits what I want to do.  It can be made accessible with any of the
screen readers that are scriptable but so far jaws is the only one back as
far as 3.5 so that one is out for now unless I want to do all the scripting
which I might end up doing.

No other database has an instant GUI designer that is accessible so my
choices are two.  Write the code in something like C++, VB, C# or have a
web or C#, VB, or C++  interface to something like Mysql or PostGreSql.
With those choices in mind and if I missed one please tell me but anyway
with those in mind I have some questions.

I have been looking at the DataSet and it seems to look like if I use an
Access database which is required in one of my projects I will have to
create the tables in Access if I want to save them to an MDB.  Is this
correct?  I see all kinds of functions to read and manipulate the Access
databases but nothing to actually create the Database.  It seems I have to
attach to the database then I can create tables using the DataSet is this
right or am I missing some function to open a new one.

If I decide on the other hand to go with a  web interface for the two that
do not have to be in Access and hopefully can convince work that things do
not have to be in Microsoft products to be worth something.  If the Database
and the web interface are on the same intra net rather than the inter net is
the page refreshes much faster?  The reason I am asking is because some of
the dialogs I am creating need to be some what active content for example as
a person goes through a list view it needs to update what's on the details
portion of the view.  I know there is Ajax but if I can just use simple web
that will be much better. Not to mention work has a lot of different
disabilities and I want to keep what ever interface I end up making as
accessible to all as possible which means Java is out for now.

Well in short what I am really looking for is the best advice to making a
visually appealing database as well as making the coding of it as easy as
possible.  What makes me ill is Access is perfect for all these tasks but
unfortunately Access don't stand for Access.

Ken