Re: Number of folks on the list

  • From: "Andreas Stefik" <stefika@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 15:35:20 -0700

Yaa, I agree with what everyone is saying, that even the number of
subscribers, addresses, etc, isn't that useful for judging the size of
the community, etc. That's all completely true. However, many of my
colleagues, for some truly insane reason or another which I can't for
the life of me understand, question the existence of blind computer
programmers in general. By far the most common argument I hear against
doing this kind of research is that the community is very small ... or
so I'm told by those that don't know any better ... But without any
data on the topic at all, it's pretty tough to argue.

 Now, I can at least say, "Well, on a popular mailing list for blind
programmers, there are 347 registered email addresses."

Obviously, there are duplicates, some folks aren't active, and some
folks are sighted impostors (like me), but hey, it's better than
nothing!

Thanks Jim for the number of addresses, that helps.

Andreas