Re: Next steps on Open Komodo

  • From: "John Greer" <jpgreer17@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 03:28:40 -0500

Actually they are at revision 1314 and I dont find it slow when moving around windows at all. At the present time the virtual buffer code is being rewritten in C++ and the speed of browsing the internet has vastly improved. since their first release of the 0.5 release. Keep in mind also that NVDA has only existed for about a year now so no it won't be able to do everything that Jaws can do, but it is a scriptable screen reader and improvements are literally being made to it everyday. It can also surprise you in a few areas, for example if you have a computer with more than one soundcard you can choose what sound card you want speech to come through. Yes, there is a way that you can make Jaws do this to but most everyday users don't want to have to hack Jaws to make that happen. Also I find that NVDA works much faster than Jaws when reading documents in adobe reader 8. Also as I said before it gives the people that are not able to afford Jaws, Window Eyes, Hal a way to use there computer that is far better than Narrator. It reads Windows Live Messenger, works with skype 3, even reads the extra information that Jaws seems to skip over in the Skype option dialog that can give a new user of Skype an idea of what all of those options do. The E Speak tts voice that it uses has also been made into an integrated dll and that allows a person to burn NVDA to a cd and set it up to auto run when the cd is inserted and you have a screen reader on any computer. Nothing even needs to be installed on the computer itself, it can all run off of the cd or even a thumb drive if you so choose. That to me is a very nice feature when working on a sighted persons computer, I don't have to install anything screen reader related on their computer at all, not even a video intercept driver like you do with the thumb drive version of Jaws. It does also work with Windows Vista, it has the same problem that the big 3 have with the security dialogs, but that is more the fault of Microsoft's implementation and not the screen readers themselves. NVDA does do more than what I have written here but the rest is for the curious to find out. Just so you know, the main focus of the work being done on the virtual buffer code is actually being done for the Firefox browser but work will also start on IE at some point too. I am not actually sure if NVDA has been translated into Romanian but either the wiki article for NVDA or someone on the NVDA email list should be able to either help to get it translated or someone may come along that will submit a translation. Actually I just checked the language list in E Speak and it does speak in Romanian, still not sure if the NVDA interface has been translated but it may have been. Just checked that to, and it doesn't look like it has been but, it can be. Hey yeah I know, E Speak is not the best tts engine out there but it isn't too bad for a open source project that is done by one guy. The E Speak engine in fact does have a ton of settings that can be customized from with in NVDA, different languages, 15 different variants, pitch control, speed and something Jaws Eloquence can't do, volume control. They have also used a feature that the Mac screen reader has where the control key to stop speech actually just pauses speech and you can press it again to resume it. Or if you do something else then speech carries on just like any screen reader would. Not a feature that I really care much for but their are certain circumstansces when it would be nice, like if you got a phone call in the middle of reading something you just press the control key to pause reading and when done press it again to start where you left it. Yes it also has an option to change the modifyer key for laptops. In fact you can choose to have the insert key on the six pack as the modifier key, caps lock, the insert on the num pad, or even all three if you want. Can you change the modifier key to any key you want to? Yes but to do that you will have to change the key by modifying the default.kbd file. With that file, if you don't want insert b to be the combo that reads a dialog box then just change it to what you want to. And on and on and on but you get the idea.

JohnPG search for all of your Jaws scripts at http://www.blindcrawler.com/
Also be sure to check out Blind Crawler's Legend of the Green Dragon server at http://www.blindcrawler.com/lotg/
There will be more to come from Blind Crawler very soon.
Administrator: John Greer
Blind Crawler.com
----- Original Message ----- From: "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@xxxxxxxxx>