.Net 3.0 Speech functionality

  • From: "Chris Hofstader" <chris.hofstader@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 07:49:19 -0400

Hi,

[I'm typing this from memory so please excuse any misspellings of the .Net
terms as I don't have a file open from which I can copy and paste them.]

I've been pulling my hair out trying to find some answers to questions
regarding the System.Speech.Synthesis namespace in .Net 3.0 and higher.  I
am fairly certain that I have the latest SDK installed and I've just
switched over to VS 2008 which seems to be happier with .Net 3.x than was VS
2005.

The System.Speech.Synthesis namespace contains a class called
SpeechSynthesizer which has a method, Speak.  The Speak method is overloaded
to take any of three different types: string, Prompt or PromptBuilder.  The
string entry point is self explanatory, one passes in a string and Speak
causes SAPI to read the text aloud.  By using some of the other items in the
SpeechSynthesizer class, one can increase speech rate, volume and a few
other minor changes to the way the speech sounds when one calls Speak.

Most of the more interesting augmentations, however, seem to require using
the Prompt or PromptBuilder overloads for the Speak method.  Hence, my
quandary, I know what I want to do but cannot find any documentation that
describes or even offers an example of how a Prompt is built.  Yes, I've
already searched google and various open source sites to try to find an
answer so I'm not relying entirely on MS documentation.

Searching the Microsoft docs, however, did bring me to find
System.Speech.TTSEngine which seems to have methods and member variables and
methods for the more interesting spoken text augmentations like pitch,
countour, emphasis, etc.  The MS documentation, though, says that TTSEngine
items should not be called directly from an application (to make matters
worse, I couldn't find an explanation as to why or how these methods and
member variables can be accessed).

I will be deeply grateful to anyone who can help me figure this out either
explicitly or by sending me pointers to useful documentation, articles and
such.

Thanks,
Cdh

PS:  What do I do to bring the VS scripts over to 2008?  The seriously
broken (when JAWS is running) find feature of the help system is driving me
absolutely nuts.