Need Help Finding Programming Job

  • From: "Brent Neal" <bneal@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ProgrammingBlind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 07:30:11 -0600

As I said in a previous message I loose my job at the end of June or the first
part of July.  I was responsible for NETSS which is a disease reporting system
written in epi info.  Since there is little to no demand for this language I
took Java classes and certified as an Auricle DBA.  The state has had other
state agencies interview me but they say because I have no hands on experience
with Oracle or Java I do not qualify for their positions.  Most of the jobs
also include designing web systems and they say my special equipment which is
JAWS and a Braille Display does not work well enough to perform these tasks.  I
also checked the Freedom Scientific job openings and they want C++ experience
not Java.  I worked for IBM for 6 years and the state for 13.5 and now cannot
find a job.  Is there any chance of getting a job without hands on experience?
Does JAWS work well enough with Oracle for a blind person to be an effective
DBA or does it depend on what kind of system Oracle is on?  I could not get
JAWS to read the Oracle GUI on the PC Oracle practice system.