Re: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio and JAWS

  • From: "Peter Quaiattini" <Peter_Quaiattini@xxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 10:26:51 -0600

Hi Jamal -

Thanks for the suggestion; I presume you are refering to using the
provided sp_help bla bla bla sstored procedures?

Also another suggestion was that I should use VS2005 scripts for jaws.
Even though I'm not using Visual Studio 2005, apparently the SQL
management studeo program uses the msenv2005 environment for its I.
Executable installer http://www.EmpowermentZone.com/msenv2005.exe
Zip archive <http://www.EmpowermentZone.com/msenv2005.zip>

I have not tried these scripts yet, but I will advise what degree of
success I have.

Subject: Re: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio and JAWS
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 15:57:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>

Others may have a different perspective on this, but my inclination
would
be to use TSQL scripts as much as possible for querying or modifying a
database design.  As you probably know, these can be run from a command
prompt with clear console output.  I usually prefer to see changes in
database structure in code I can examine and tweak in written form
rather
than manipulating controls of a grid interface, which unfortunately
tends
to be inherently two or three dimensional and visual in nature.  Perhaps
you had better experience with other databases though.
Jamal

On Thu, 20
Sep 2007, Peter Quaiattini wrote:

> Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 13:35:59 -0600
> From: Peter Quaiattini <Peter_Quaiattini@xxxxxx>
> To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio and JAWS
>
> Hello all -
> I'm new to the SQL Server database world, though not new to DBA work
> (with extensive Oracle and DB2 previously).
> My company uses Sql Server Management Studio (SSMS) for managing our
> many SQL Server instances, and I'm being asked to take on some of that
> work.
> In working with SSMS, I am finding it somewhat frustrating using it
with
> JAWS - version 8.0.1163.
> As an example, in the "create database" dialog, one must specify
various
> parameters for each of the physical datafiles that are associated to
> each file group. This dialog is a table of some sort, similar to an
> Excel spreadsheet, that can be navigated with tab and cursor keys.
> However, I am experiencing 2 issues in working with this table;
> specifically:
> - the titles of each column are not read when I navigate into a given
> cell so I don't know what parameter I am setting, and
> - often, the values of a given cell are not read when I navigate into
> them; nor do the standard reading commands of numpad5 or insert-tab
read
> the contents.
> Feeling quite frustrated, and wondering how others are dealing with
> SSMS?
> Alternatively, do others use a different tool to manage SQL Server?
>  Appreciating any help that can be provided.
> (Please note I'm also cross-posting this with the JAWS list)
>
> Regards,
> Peter Quaiattini
> BITS OPS - Data Hosting Services
> Canadian Pacific Railway
> (403) 319-6579
> peter_quaiattini@xxxxxx

------------------------------ IMPORTANT NOTICE - AVIS IMPORTANT
------------------------------
Computer viruses can be transmitted via email. Recipient should check this
email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. Sender and sender
company accept no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by
this email.
This email transmission and any accompanying attachments contain confidential
information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.
Any dissemination, distribution, copying or action taken in reliance on the
contents of this email by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this email in error please immediately delete
it and  notify sender at the above email address.

Le courrier electronique peut etre porteur de virus informatiques.  Le
destinataire doit donc passer le present courriel et les pieces qui y sont
jointes au detecteur de virus.  L' expediteur et son employeur declinent toute
responsabilite pour les dommages causes par un virus contenu dans le courriel.
Le present message et les pieces qui y sont jointes contiennent des
renseignements confidentiels destines uniquement a la personne ou a l'
organisme nomme ci-dessus.  Toute diffusion, distribution, reproduction ou
utilisation comme reference du contenu du message par une autre personne que le
destinataire est formellement interdite.  Si vous avez recu ce courriel par
erreur, veuillez le detruire immediatement et en informer l' expediteur a l'
adresse ci-dessus.