Re: Microsoft Active Accessibility

  • From: "Dennis Brown" <DennisTBrown@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 15:21:01 -0400

Hi,
You said:
"> Unless they coded more MSAA into jaws. it does very little with it.
The sad part is a lot of programs have accessible features built in, but jaws refuses to use them as in MSAA and with vista as a whole. They like to reinvent the wheel."

Could you clarify that statement? What about ValueChangedEvent, ActiveItemChangedEvent, ObjStateChangedEvent, MenuModeEvent, etc.? Go through the script function list and look at the many MSAA-related functions JAWS has. After scripting for FS for several years, I can tell you that MSAA is what we looked for first whenever scripting an application. Many applications add it in as a token gesture of compliance, but not as a serious effort at accessibility, and never tie in the value changes with events; never update the data when focus changes; rarely update states when states change; rarely tie data to events when that data is not the focused window, such as in status lines; etc. With Vista, tracking highlights is not a viable option, given that a mirror driver is in use and highlight isn't static, especially across applications, so MSAA is heavily relied upon by all screen readers. JAWS has moved to relying more on MSAA than ever before, trying to get away from OSM-based data retrieval, because of Vista's complexities, so I respectfully correct you on that statement that JAWS doesn't use it and they want to reinvent the wheel. FS may be a lot of things, but business-stupid isn't one of them. Failing to take advantage of MSAA would be a bad business decision, to say the least.

Thanks,
Dennis Brown
----- Original Message ----- From: "Trouble" <trouble1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Unless they coded more MSAA into jaws. it does very little with it.
The sad part is a lot of programs have accessible features built in, but jaws refuses to use them as in MSAA and with vista as a whole. They like to reinvent the wheel.

At 04:37 AM 4/15/2008, you wrote:
Hello,

I use Jaws 8 with my braille display.
For my job, I am working about a Microsoft software application which must be accessible so I use Microsoft Active Accessibility (MSAA). I've looked for about Jaws and AccessibleEvents but I haven't found anything. Could you tell me, please, which events are taken in account with Jaws and Jaws behavior for these events.

In addition, in my MSAA's implementation, I've implemented the "Navigate()" method but I never run it navigating with my braille display. Using "Microsoft Active Accessibility Object Inspector" my colleague can run it. Is Jaws able to run the MSAA's Navigate() method. If Jaws is able to use it, could you tell me more about?

Best regards.
Coraline Richet.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 3028 (20080415) __________

Tim