Re: Maybe I'm Not Such An Old Dog

  • From: Kerneels Roos <kerneels@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 09:32:56 +0200

Also note that the latest Firefox 4+ run browser plugins in a separate process so that if they crash they don't crash the whole browser. I suppose that in the past they only ran as a thread inside the main process.

I think it is nice if a user can choose how links should open, especially if you can set a default behavior.

I believe NVDA works to some extend with Chrome which is Web Kit so it might work with Safari on Windows since Safari uses Web Kit with Apple propriety JavaScript engine.

Browsing with Safari on Mac could be really nice if it wasn't so slow. There is a DOM type navigation / browsing mode and a mode that organises things into groups (for those that haven't used Safari on Mac before). If you move to a paragraph of text the whole paragraph is read. If you want to read individual sentences you have to "interact" with the paragraph and if you want to read word for word you have to "interact" with a sentence inside the paragraph.

The same goes for GUI navigation, and although it takes some time getting in and out of related groups in the controls / layout tree, I think overall things are faster since you can easily skip complex tables or groups of controls whereas under Windows with JAWS I often find myself tabbing to death to get around -- it's a more flat scenario.

I'm sure things browser related must be faster on the latest macs, but I can remember Sena also saying something about it being very slow, and I presume his mac is more recent than my 2005 mac mini.

Regards

On 7/20/2011 5:51 PM, Jared Wright wrote:
On 7/20/2011 11:01 AM, Brandon Keith (Biggs) wrote:

"I always thought tabs were inaccessible because if say a website makes your browser
stop, you have to close the whole window and not just the website..."
That isn't really an accessibility issue but a performance one. And Chrome runs each tab in its own process to offset this. I think FF can do it with an extension.

--
Kerneels Roos
Cell: +27 (0)82 309 1998