Re: Making TK accessible?

  • From: "Littlefield, Tyler" <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 12:23:01 -0700

It is kind of sad, and I think it's really hurting our cause more than anything else. He's taken the approach of if you don't work with me you're selfish, a nazi, etc etc. It's lead to messages like this one:

Seriously. Octavian's attitude in this thread makes me want to go use
Tkinter just to spite him. And I'm net-buds with Tyler, and I'm working
on a project that I thought accessibility for the blind was very
important for. But no more!

Way to set the cause back, Octavian. :P

You have -1 converts!

* Disclaimer: You are stupid if you think this is true. But seriously,
Octavian makes it REALLY hard to continue caring about something that I
actually cared about before and thought was important.

When people start thinking that way, that's bad. Not just for Octavian, because I could really care less who likes him or doesn't, but for all of the blind community as a whole; people watching him throw his tantrum and be incredibly rude to people are going to have second thoughts when working with any blind people usually, because they won't want to deal with something like that. People draw conclusions based off of what they see, "the first impression is what counts," and they will generally (though not always), equate one attitude of someone from a subset of people to the general atitude of all of us.
On 1/28/2011 12:12 PM, Homme, James wrote:
Hi,
I'm sorry to read this. Unfortunately, even if unintended, wining reflects
poorly on all of us.

Jim

Jim Homme,
Usability Services,
Phone: 412-544-1810. Skype: jim.homme
Internal recipients,  Read my accessibility blog. Discuss accessibility here.