Re: Mainframe - COBOL, DB2, IMS Etc.

  • From: Alex Midence <alex.midence@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 17:01:06 -0500

Hi,

Everything I have read so far has Java as the number 1 most popular
language to learn because it is object-oriented and multiplatform.  I
am sure those on the list who are actively programming right now can
give you more experience-based answers but I've been exploring this as
a potential field for the last few months and doing a lot of research
on the best directions in which to go.  So far, it appears that Java
is a must-know for anyone with c# and other .net languages right on
its heals like VB and asp.  If you are going to do web development,
then php, javascript, and either python or perl are what you need to
learn.

Try doing a search on Craigslist in your area using keywords like
developer, java, .net, c# web developer senior developer ETC.  That
will give you an idea of what might be out there in your area.  And,
of course, there is always c++ which never goes out of style and is
probably used on some of the main frames you have used.

Sorry to hear about your job.  I hope you find something else soon.

Alex M
Ps.  Here's an interesting link you might find helpful:

http://regulargeek.com/2009/02/11/what-programming-language-should-i-learn/