RE: MVC

  • From: "Sina Bahram" <sbahram@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 16:13:41 -0400

There are probably as many design patterns as there are designers, and then
some; however, the Wikipedia page on MVC leads one to
some  interesting top 10 selections.

Here are a few:

Layers
Model-View-Controller, Presentation-abstraction-control, Model View Presenter
and Model View ViewModel
Multitier architecture (often three-tier)
Pipe and filter architecture
Implicit invocation
Blackboard system
Peer-to-peer
Service-oriented architecture
Naked objects

I strongly urge you to read the classic books in this space if you're
interested in being a good software architect. Michael
Jackson, no not the singer, and Christopher Alexander, yes the architect, have
some very good stuff in this space. Also, there's the
classic, everybody and their brother has read it, gang of four book no not the
Chinese counter revolutionary gang of four but rather
the four authors. The google founders reference that textbook all the time. The
name of the book is "Design Patterns: Elements of
Reusable Object-Oriented Software". See below for a related link.

Some links to get you started:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model%E2%80%93View%E2%80%93Controller

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architectural_pattern_(computer_science)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_Pattern