Re: MAGic and COM

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 08:55:23 -0500

Hi Stefik,
Let me make sure you are aware that it would be easy to add support for the Window-Eyes screen reader. For example, using its IDispatch interface with the VBScript language:

oWE = CreateObject("GWSpeak.Speak")
oWE.SpeakString("Hello world")

It is also possible to do low level, early bound COM with the Window-Eyes object model.

Jamal

On 2/24/2011 8:45 AM, Andreas Stefik wrote:
Haden,

Yes, that's what we've been building, is a C-wrapper to screen readers
that you can connect to through Java. We haven't publicly released yet
our JAR wrapper libraries, but the current build is used in the
Sodbeans 2.0 trunk build. For example, to connect using our libraries,
on windows, mac, or linux, using either JAWS, NVDA, Voice Over
(Carbon), ORCA with Speech Dispatcher, Apple Say, or Microsoft SAPI,
requires the following Java code:

TextToSpeech speech = TextToSpeechFactory.getDefaultTextToSpeech();
speech.speak("Hello, World!");

You can also request, from Java, a particular speech engine. For
example, you can request that you connect to JAWS, etc.

We're planning on releasing that publicly in July or so, although the
trunk build is actually pretty stable. For now, we're working to add
pitch shifting of the TTS, better priority support for complicated
streams of auditory cues (as we have on the Sodbeans project), and
we're doing lots and lots of testing.

Stefik

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 8:23 PM, Haden Pike<haden.pike@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
That's what I was referring too. It's under the MIT license. Correct me if
I'm wrong, but if this library was written in C, could you write a wrapper
to call it in java?
Haden

On 2/23/2011 4:54 PM, Andreas Stefik wrote:

Interesting, our libraries work very similar to accessible_output (it
appears), and for that matter, SayTools, as well, although we all seem
to support slightly different systems (our tools allow call-downs from
Java and our language, Hop).

I assume this is what you are referring to:
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/accessible_output/0.5.5

What License are you under?

And yaa, I will have to look into screen magnifiers as well.

Stefik

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 3:40 PM, Haden Pike<haden.pike@xxxxxxxxx>    wrote:

That could work. We really need to rewrite at least the core of
accessible_output in C or C++, so we can write bindings for other
languages...

I don't know much about magnification myself. That's something I'd have
research prior to writing this.
Haden

On 2/23/2011 3:58 PM, Nathaniel Schmidt wrote:

Hi,

This might not be very useful, but if there is such an API for magic,
would
it make things easier to include it in a package like accessible_output?
suppose then it would be limited to python, but it would be simple to
use
the magnification package, magnifier.magnify()? Of course I am writing
this
knowing not much at all about magnification, just throwing the
suggestion
out there.

Nathaniel