Love Hate Apple -- YOU CANT DO iPhone DEV ON PPC

  • From: Kerneels Roos <kerneels@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 16:13:39 +0200

In case anyone was wondering, you absolutely can't do iPhone development on a PPC based Mac -- you need an Intel based Mac and a quite recent one as well -- OSX 10.6 and above.

Although there is no small number of posts and blogs related to this issue don't be deceived, it isn't really possible. It was possible for old versions of the iPhone SDK (prior to 3.0, and most notably 2.2.1), but somewhere along the line Apple stopped including universal binaries able to run on PPC and Intel and now it's all just Intell all the way.

I would not mind to know the reason (technical reason) for Apple to stop supporting PPC for iPhone development since it all looks like totally a "we'll force you to buy a new Mac" strategy.... Believe me, the first thing I'll do when I've saved enough is to buy a new Mac Mini, but until then it would really have been nice not to be so restricted as is the case with the second hand PPC based Mac Mini smiling at me from the corner of my desk :-), reduced to a music box (although a very nice music box).

So, although it's not nice to gripe and grovel I will say this; Apple, what a bad move. Do you really think people *want* to keep working on their slow,old machines forever? Not at all! The moment you have the bucks you'll go out and get the latest, but dropping support for your old hardware in this day and age, unless a very, very good technical reason exists, is not really acceptable.

And that was the hate, the love is also there still crazy enough. For any computer and music enthusiast even an old Mac that can't do iOS dev still holds it's attractions.

--
Kerneels Roos
Cell: +27 (0)82 309 1998