Re: Linked lists in C and C++.

  • From: "Marlon Brandão de Sousa" <splyt.lists@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 09:34:30 -0300

Well I wouldn't say that using stl classes is a bad idea from the
point of view of performanse. The thing is stl is an excelent,
optimized and extremely well tested peace of work, being fast, safe
and trustable, and pretty well documented, so thiis is a good reazon
to you to move to using stl stuff in your code. Not only it would be
easier to someone to change / understand your code, because stl is
known and well documented; it would be also faster to you to develope
because you don't have to code stuff that has already been coded,
tested and documented and widely used.
The stl classes are a c++ standard, so these same classes are very
likely to be present in every c++ compiler of every platform. This can
make your code easily portable.
The stl is only available from c++ code though.
Also, for Sina's explanation about pointers size, I think I recall
Will Pearson said sometime ago that the pointer size would vary in
windows and unix implementations on 64 bits platforms.
Marlon

free."
Linus Torvalds