RE: Learning What I Need To Know About Basic Linux

  • From: "Homme, James" <james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:56:38 -0400

Hi,
Here's a progress report in case you care.

Thanks to some advice about using binary mode to transfer my big SQL file, I
was able to populate the production MySQL database with all the data from the
development site. Yay.

I now have my site up, but I didn't use the latest Drupal update. I used the
old files. I couldn't solve the 500 Internal server error problem that was
holding me back once I got proper access. I'm sure it has to do with file
permissions. There just wasn't enough time before my deadline.

I don't feel too badly about not updating to the newest Drupal, because I
discovered that I had a number of unused modules in the development
environment. I'm glad I didn't bring them over. I can add the ones I need one
at a time in production, and test them to make sure that all is well.

The next things I have to do  in no particular order are:

* Really understand once and for all how file permissions work and how to
manipulate them.

* Either learn how to  update the GD package in PHP or install a version of PHP
that supports the version the Drupal installation needs.

* Update Drupal core to the latest version and make it work this time.

* Install the Drupal modules that I need that make it very convenient to
maintain the site like Backup and Migrate.

* Set up either cron or the poormanskron module.

* Modify Apache so that it supports the Drupal Clean URL's feature.

* Make sure that MySQL is secured properly. It may already be secured properly,
but make sure.

* Check the robots.txt file to make sure that it's configured correctly. It may
be, but check.

* Send the initial group of users their information so that they can browse and
report issues.

* Correct content as needed.

* Start to roll out the rest of the users information.

* Set up the backup schedule.

* Check to see what I need to do to maintain Apache if anything.

* Clean up some files I left that I don't need to have on the system.

* Put together a better JAWS environment for doing this work, possibly Cygwin
and OpenSSH.

* I can do a lot of this stuff in parallel.

* Document the whole thing. I have a good start on this.

* Celebrate having learned all of this stuff.

Jim