Re: Learning What I Need To Know About Basic Linux

  • From: Chris Hofstader <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 09:05:51 -0400

Hi Guys,

Some people like ksh, others prefer csh but my favorite will always be bash and it's the default on many systems. I think the best choice is the one you or your colleagues already know best as that will make learning various things much easier.

Also, any and all who are interested in GNU/Linux, free access technology software hacking should join the GNU accessibility mailing list. It currently covers everything from compatible hardware to serious programming questions and everything in between. If it gets too crowded, we'll probably spin off a free AT software programming /technical list but, right now, the mix is pretty interesting. To join: send an email to accessibility-request@xxxxxxx with subscribe in the subject line. Hope to see you there.

HH,
cdh

On 07/28/2010 08:55 AM, Bill Gallik wrote:
Jim,

Call me with any questions you may have. In the meantime, I'll try to answer some of your questions:

Q: Is there a better shell?

A: I always preferred ksh (usually pronounced "K Shell"). If you execute the following command line you'll get a small book (manual page) on ksh:

       man ksh (you may want to redirect to a file)

Q: What are the default permissions on newly created files?

A: In your .profile you can deploy a command line that will direct the system as how to set permissions on new files, I believe it is:

       umask 0###
where 0### is the octal representation of the permission bits you want stripped from the new file.

For example, "umask 0222" will create files with write permission denied for everybody. You may want to again seek help from the man page:
       man umask

Q: How do I control the size of log files?

A: As a matter of practice, this was done via cron management where a "crontab" entry was created by/for the user that would run a shell script that would move the current log to a back up of some sort and recreate the new (renamed) log file. For example:

export LogFileName="whatever it is"
export DayName="`date +%w`" # %w tells "date" to return the abreviation for the day of the week.
cd (directory pathname where the log file resides)
mv $LogFile $LogFile.$DayName # Move the current to a file of the same name, but with the name of the appended
touch $LogFile # create new log file

Boy, there's a lot here, feel free to call me.
----
Holland's Person, Bill
E-Mail: BillGallik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!