Re: Layout by code - a wonderful tool but....

  • From: "Littlefield, Tyler" <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2011 15:48:48 -0700

I'm not "hurling insults." I'm explaining why VS does what it does, and why hundreds (and thousands) like it that way. It keeps things organized. Why not just cram all books into one single file? It'd have the same affect.

On 8/7/2011 8:18 AM, Jamal Mazrui wrote:
Tyler,
Evidently, one of your favorite pastimes is hurling insults at people on this list. For a while it appeared that you had matured from your early years, but there has been major regression lately. Your lack of people skills will be a serious hindrance to your career, unfortunately. I guess the destructive fun is more important to you now.

Jamal

On 8/7/2011 11:04 AM, Littlefield, Tyler wrote:
You seem to see all the files that vs uses (not that many actually) as a
problem. It just helps keep things organized, and is much much better
than cramming 12000 lines into a text file.
On 8/7/2011 5:09 AM, Jamal Mazrui wrote:
VS definately generates much code automatically that one does not
need. The same program can be written much more concisely, in far
fewer files, than with VS generated code. This is a typical downside
of an IDE that needs to be balanced against its advantages.

Jamal

On 8/6/2011 4:27 AM, black ares wrote:
You compare two different things, HTML wysiwyg and IDEs.
First type of applications generate indeed a lot of crapy code, but the
problem is not the crapy code generated, but the fact that, a lot of
code loads very hard in a browser.
On the other part, IDEs don't create a lot of crapy code, but only the
code you need.
If you examine the code generated by the visual studio you will see that
is the exact code you will gonna write if you know how to write code
best.
I didn't see any line there which I could say:
"I can delete this, I don't need it.
If you prefeer to loose time by writting a lot of non-sens code that can be generated automaticaly, it is your option, but don't promote that as
the best practice, because it isn't.
More over, ides have a lot of features and simply saying that they are
useless because you don't like automatic code generation is a sily
thing.
What about code completion, refactoring features and so on.
Like in eclipse where you can write a class together with getters and
setters with out writting code.
You know what?
I simply hate to write getters and setters becauze they take a lot of
time and do nothing spectacular.
So I am very happy when my IDE takes this from me and let me write the
real code.
Finally, about layout by code, I can use the visual studio designer and
use grid layout /table layout and make my windows forms/wpf look great
in a decent time frame.
So why I need layout by code?

The aim is to get that piece of software as quickly as I can in the
budget and quality envisioned?
Or to loose time by writting code.
If the goal is to simply write code for the sake of writting code, go
on.
But don't expect to be competitive when some one does the same software,
same quality in less time.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Katherine Moss"
<Katherine.Moss@xxxxxxxxxx>