Re: Jim's VB.Net Notes: An Idea

  • From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 07:47:50 -0700

Hi Jim,

What is WordPress?

Richard
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Homme, James
  To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Friday, August 20, 2010 5:57 AM
  Subject: Jim's VB.Net Notes: An Idea

  Hi Everyone,

  I haven't forgotten about Jim's VB.Net notes. It just so happens that my work
life is likely to take a huge turn soon, and it may turn out to be a blessing
in disguise. I may be forced into learning Object Orientation. I may need to
put the notes on the shelf because I will likely be re-trained. The most likely
track is Java basics, then some sort of Java web technology.

  That brings me to my idea. I don't want the programming tutorial idea to
totally  die. So I propose to widen the concept somewhat. I was thinking of
creating a Wordpress site on Wordpress.com that might contain programming
notes, not just VB.Net notes. This might be aimed, for example, at anyone who
is just beginning a language, and is not yet ready to create a fruit basket
example. It would take them through the basic concepts of the language under
consideration to the point where they can start walking on their own and
understand the fruit basket example and go beyond that.

  Here is how it would work. The site would allow anyone who'd like to write a
tutorial to post content. I propose that those who'd like to put up a tutorial
learn to write static pages in Word press, so that their tutorial pages can be
placed on the site in the most logical order, as opposed to blog posts, which
get posted in reverse date order. We can also have a blog if we like. You would
write to me off list, and I would enter you as a member of the site. You'd be
responsible for your own tutorial content. I'd do the house keeping for the
site.

  I'm not sure how many members a Wordpress site on Wordpress.com can have, but
I think that the capacity would be more than we'd likely to get from the list
membership. So if you feel that you'd like to help make a resource for new
developers who are blind, let's talk about it.

  I fully intend to get back to my VB.Net tutorial, because I still want to
learn that language, but in the interest of necessity and coping with
unforeseen events, it looks like it's going to have to go on hold, which
disappoints me because of my history of not finishing things, but it looks like
this one is getting wrenched out of my control to some extent.

  So let's talk. And thanks for reading and being patient with me.

  Jim

  Jim Homme,

  Usability Services,

  Phone: 412-544-1810. Skype: jim.homme

  Internal recipients,  Read my accessibility blog. Discuss accessibility here.

solely for use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you
have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and
then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not keep, use,