Re: Jim's VB Notes

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 07:51:00 -0400

Go for it, Jim -- I think sharing such notes through your learning process would be helpful to others.

Jamal

On 7/1/2010 3:14 PM, Homme, James wrote:

Hi,

I'm putting my typing skills where my mouth is. I've started a file of
VB.net notes. In my notes, I'm narrating as I start on my journey to
learn this language. I'm using EdSharp to write my code. I'm going to
start sending installments to this list.

While I was reading, I already see that I made a mistake about a
compiler directive. If you want VB to force you to create variables
before you use them, you have to put this line in your program.

option strict

And interestingly, unlike the old forms of BASIC, Visual Basic.net is
not case sensitive in its keywords.

As I start to send installments, if you like, go over the tutorial and
suggest improvements.

Perhaps I will put it up on the web somewhere in some form.

Jim

Jim Homme,

Usability Services,

Phone: 412-544-1810. Skype: jim.homme

Internal recipients, Read my accessibility blog
<http://mysites.highmark.com/personal/lidikki/Blog/default.aspx>.
Discuss accessibility here
<http://collaborate.highmark.com/COP/technical/accessibility/default.aspx>.
<http://collaborate.highmark.com/COP/technical/accessibility/Accessibility%20Wiki/Forms/AllPages.aspx>

solely for use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient,
you must not keep, use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail without
the author's prior permission. The views expressed in this e-mail
message do not necessarily represent the views of Highmark Inc., its
subsidiaries, or affiliates.