Re: Java accessibility

  • From: Jared Stofflett <stofflet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 21:09:06 -0400

To access a menu bar in swing you need to hit f10 not alt.
Pranav Lal wrote:
Hello Lynn,

You need to use theSWT control set. These widgets are rendered natively by
the operating system on which the programme is running therefore, the
accessibility issues with swing do not arise.

As far as I understand, the problem with using the axis bridge is that
events in the access bridge are fired randomly. Therefore, it is very
difficult for the screen reader using the access bridge to tell what is
happening in a Java application at any given point. I have indeed tried
using the Java access bridge and jaws for Windows with a few Java
applications. I have not had too much success. By not having success I mean
that I could navigate user interface elements such as dialogue boxes
however, pressing the alt key to access menus was all was a problem since
the windows control menu kept being invoked so, I would press alt + F to
activate the file menu. If by any chance, I pressed the alt key on its own,
the control menu box would come up. Also, I do not know how easy it is to
mouse around using Java. Jaws for Windows does indeed support this facility
but, the problems lie in the access bridge..

For SWT examples, see http://www.eclipse.org/swt/snippets/

I believe that the de facto development environment for java is eclipse.
This is indeed accessible.
Pranav