RE: Java accessibility

  • From: "Macarty, Jay {PBSG}" <Jay.Macarty@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 17:22:15 -0500

Susie,

I have been working closely with GW over the past few months on the Java
accessibility for Window-Eyes. At this particular stage, the access tool I have
written is their only working approach to java access. Thus, if suggestions are
made to GW regarding java access, they will ultimately come back to me. I don't
mind that but just wanted to make you aware that it is fine to pass along any
comments or questions regarding java access in Window-Eyes directly to me or
through GW either one.

I started out much in the same way you are describing with java about 11 years
ago when java was still very young. I didn't try to work on the GUI side but
concentrated more on persistence layer development and on server-side web
applications using servlets (that was back in the day before Java Server Pages
or any of the other server-side technologies they have now).

When I came to work here at PepsiCo, I had to deal with my first full desktop
java application which used a swing-based GUI.

Hope to have the chance to meet you at the NFB convention.