RE: Java accessibility

  • From: "Macarty, Jay {PBSG}" <Jay.Macarty@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 09:17:41 -0500

Lynn,
If you are writing your own apps and have the flexibility to include SWT as a
part of them, that is great from an accessibility perspective. If, however,
your project requirements demand the use of swing, there are guidelines
published by IBM to aid in writing accessible applications. These guidelines,
in themselves, don't make java swing accessible, however, they do make it
easier for adaptive technologies like the Java access bridge or WE4Java to make
the most out of swing. The guidelines include things like including accessible
descriptions for icons and making sure components like menu bar items can be
triggered by the keyboard (e.g., pressing alt+f for the file menu). The
guidelines also include suggestions on using the setLabelFor method to
associate text fields with labels and for using the AccessibleRelationship
functionality.

You can read more about the guidelines and other accessibility info from IBM on
their website at
http://www-03.ibm.com/able/guidelines/

And the java guidelines are at
http://www-03.ibm.com/able/guidelines/java/snsjavagaccapi.html