Re: Java EE in terms of Accessibility and in General

  • From: Kerneels Roos <kerneels@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 09:57:04 +0200

Andreas and Michael,

On 8/30/2011 9:53 PM, Andreas Stefik wrote:
Michael,

I only did a small amount of j2ee programming for a course I took in school,
but like all Java (or at least all Java I've experienced,) your code can be
written from a text editor.  I'm not sure about the accessibility of
glassfish. Wonder if the netbeans accessibility stuff works with it?
It should, if you mean Sodbeans. Now, what you generate with it, as in
on the web, may or may not be accessible, but that mostly depends on
platform, web browser, what j2ee generates, etc. For example, Firefox
on Mac really doesn't work with voice over almost at all, so far as I
can tell (and I just tried it again right now).

I've found that the latest Safari with VoiceOver even on a older mac running OSX 10.5.8 have got great support for accessibility, the only problem is it's not optimised at all and can take very long for simple tasks like jumping between headings. Sometimes VoiceOver crashes and you are returned to the top of the page :-) all of a sudden! Hope this is sorted out in more recent versions of the technology. A bit shocking that the fixes (fi any) hasn't been ported downwards.

But yaa, in theory you should be able to use "most" NetBeans features
with sodbeans installed on "most" platforms nowadays, although there
are still plenty of quirks depending on what you are doing, what
technology you are using, etc.

Stefik

Kerneels Roos
Cell: +27 (0)82 309 1998