Re: Java Confidence Was RE: cobol-programming

  • From: "John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 12:01:07 -0500

Mike,

More people should know about SWT. the letters stand for Standard Widget
Toolkit. It is a set of Java classes and native libraries for creating
and manipulating GUIs. The native libraries enable it to use the
facilities of the operating system directly. It is truly cross-platform
and generally accessible out of the box without anything like the Java
Acess Bridge. We are using it in BrailleBlastger. The steepness of the
learning curve is due to the complexity of the situations involved. It
is also used in Eclipse. In fact, it is an Eclipse component. We have
verified its cross-platform accessibility with the release of the
BrailleBlaster prototype GUI.

There will be disagreements of course, but I think that people should
just forget about Swing for new programs.

John

Abilitiessoft, Inc.
http://www.abilitiessoft.com
Madison, Wisconsin USA