RE: Java: An Old Friend Comes Back

  • From: "Homme, James" <james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 07:12:51 -0400

Hi Jeff,
Yes, you need to be a member of that site. Maybe your local library is a
member. Where I work, they got some memberships as an accommodation. I'm very
fortunate. They also have individual memberships. If you want to investigate,
go to http://search.safaribooksonline.com/.

Thanks.

Jim

Jim Homme,
Usability Services,
Phone: 412-544-1810. Skype: jim.homme
Internal recipients,  Read my accessibility
blog<http://mysites.highmark.com/personal/lidikki/Blog/default.aspx>. Discuss
accessibility
here<http://collaborate.highmark.com/COP/technical/accessibility/default.aspx>.
Accessibility Wiki: Breaking news and accessibility
advice<http://collaborate.highmark.com/COP/technical/accessibility/Accessibility%20Wiki/Forms/AllPages.aspx>

On 2010-08-26, at 2:54 PM, Homme, James wrote:

Hi,
It doesn't take much to make me happy. When I was learning Cobol, my Cobol
books were written by Deitel. I loved those books because they were full of
words, and they explained things fully as they presented the code. On Safari, I
ran into, and started reading, Java(tm) for Programmers: Deitel(r) Developer
Series. It is giving me a comforting feeling that with my friend Harvey beside
me, even though he might not be the actual author, because it has been almost
23 years now, that I may learn this OO stuff yet. And as I'm listening to it,
the comforting memory of the voice of the guy from Recording For The Blind and
Dyslexic who read at least one of the structured programming Cobol books is
sounding in my memory. And I like this book also because it has questions at
the ends of chapters, and it doesn't plough through the material and take too
many side roots. And each example is a little, complete, program that you can
lift out of the book and play with. Oh, and they also have one, optional
project that they develop as they introduce the concepts throughout the book.
I'm going to go and read Chapter 3 now, which tells how to make and use classes
for the first time.

I'll probably have dumb questions after that.

I'm so happy for now.

Thanks for reading.