RE: Java Accessibility Client (JAC) project being set up in SourceForge

  • From: "Homme, James" <james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 15:13:28 -0400

Hi,
I published an article about this on an internal blog here hoping to get some
programmers for the project and on my Blogger blog. Here's the article.

There's a new open source project that deserves your time if you are, or happen
to know, someone who is a Java developer, or who develops in a technology
that can create dynamic link libraries on Windows or UNIX/Linux. The project
aims to go where no project has gone before and make desktop graphical user
interfaces expose their information to as many screen readers as possible from
Java.

I'm elated about the possibility of this project getting off the ground because
until very recently, it was thought that Java desktop accessibility might
die a quiet death.

Some dominos felled by the recent economic down-turn saw the move of the Sun
Java accessibility effort over to Oracle, and then from there, many Oracle
accessibility employees were let go. That almost killed further accessibility
Java work.

Enter Jay Macarty, a brilliant Java programmer and member of the blind
programmer's group. He is heading up the project until either he is no longer
able
to do so because of declining health or until he can recover from cancer. Here
is what Jay has to say about the project.

All,

I have created a Source Forge project named Java Accessibility Client (JAC). I
am still completing the setup but will post the source code and the link
to the project soon.

NOTE: The name was changed from WE4Java to Java Accessibility Client to denote
a more generalized platform for the software. Besides, now if someone says
they can't access a java application, we can tell them they don't know JAC. :)

I am getting things ready to upload. I am changing the base java package names
and also writing up a little architecture description doc for those wishing
to do development work. This is my first Source Forge project setup as well;
so, I have to do a little learning on how to manage the project and use all
the tools they make available such as the forums and bug tracking.

In the adaptive technology arena, only JAWS, the leading screen reader, and
ZoomText, the leading screen magnification package, were major players in the
Java desktop GUI area, and access has never really gotten mature enough to be
reliable. Now, though, there is new hope.

If you can, or know someone who can, help with this project, look for it on
Source Forge, and lend a hand ...

Because I definitely know very little JAC, but I can certainly wine and eat
cheese.

Speaking of cheese, your mouse is overworked. Use the keyboard a little more.

Jim Homme,
Usability Services,
Phone: 412-544-1810. Skype: jim.homme
Internal recipients,  Read my accessibility blog. Discuss accessibility here.