Re: JAWS Scripting And UIA

  • From: Kerneels Roos <kerneels@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 09:12:31 +0200

Last time I checked there were some noise made in the NVDA community about
better UIA support being in the pipeline for the next version, or somewhere
in the near future. There has also been some talk of implementing an off
screen model as well. I believe NVDA has some UIA support already?

Can you guys imagine what could happen if all of us and corporates and
governments would donate something like 10% of the funds we spend on
accessibility software towards a project like NVDA? Since NVDA is freely
available, the whole wide world would benefit from every dollar invested in
it as aposed to traditional paid for software where only the select few gain
from one more paying customer. Just a thought.

With that said I do support the paid for software model as well as open /
free software -- there is a place for both.

The other option for software vendors is to make their new software
accessible without the use of a screen reader, like self voicing apps for
example. It's probably not a viable option in most situations, but if they
choose to use a very new technology which is not accessible yet, this might
be the way to go for the first few versions until the screen reader guys
have caught up.

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 6:02 AM, Alex Midence <alex.midence@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Oh, no!  Ya just jinxed yourself, watch.  =p  I think the problems I
> was having had to do with the express edition.  MS allegedly fixed the
> full studio edition right off the bat.  All I know is, I'm using 2008
> now and it works jsut fine.  Help files are more extensive too.  Glad
> to know it's working well for you though.  Are you a Jaws user?
>
> Alex
>

> On 7/14/10, katherine Moss <plymouthroamer285@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I have been using both VCS express 2010 and VWD express 2010, they crash
> > periodically, but it's not significant enough for me to be concerned with
> it
> > ... not yet, at least.

Kerneels Roos
Cell/SMS: +27 (0)82 309 1998
Skype: cornelis.roos

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!