Re: Is it possible to do iPhone programming while completely blind?

  • From: Dave <davidct1209@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 21:58:16 -0700

Ken,

Perhaps you should read my email again too...I never said IOS was
easier to develop for nor did I say that Android's hard.  I wouldn't
trust a blind person to lay out an interface regardless of the
platform.  As for how easy/hard, it's all in the learning curve.
What's hard for you may be easy for me.  As long as you learn the
programmatic structures that underly the interface (i.e. UIKit),
you're perfectly capable of expressing a user interface on iOS.
Instead of writing markup (XML) and setting attributes, you're adding
subviews to a hierarchy of controls in objective C and setting
properties on objective C objects.  If you've done javascript, this is
like manipulating the DOM; not that much to it, just a little more of
a learning curve.

For the long answer on how to write the fruit basket program (if
anyone's so inclined), I don't happen to have the time, see the
following resource:
http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/42107?returnPath=L3NlYXJjaD9rZXl3b3JkPWlQaG9uZSBPcGVuIEFwcGxpY2F0aW9uIERldmVsb3BtZW50Jg%3D%3D

Again, this isn't an excuse -- Apple needs to provide access to IB
with VoiceOver, but if you master UIkit, you can do as good of a job
on an interface as Ken does on Android using xml layout files...