Re: Is Eclipse Accessible on the Mac?

  • From: Andreas Stefik <stefika@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 14:40:11 -0500

Java in general has major problems with voice over on Mac. Part of the
problem is that the mac implementation of java doesn't fire events
properly back to Java, which makes it difficult to even write wrappers
that fix the issues (e.g., menus). Similarly, until Java update 3 on
snow leopard, voice over would crash with java programs massively and
regularly, which was really frustrating for our users.

However, we're about to do a new release of some code which makes
netbeans 80% of the way to accessibility on mac. We've been testing it
and it seems to work pretty well.

Stefik