RE: Installing WinXP over a prior installation?

  • From: "D!J!X!" <megamansuperior@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 22:51:14 -0400

You'd need sited help, but if you have it you can use the disc and on the
install fresh copy or repair you'd press r to repair.
If it helps, here's the way it goes, assuming that you can get your cd to
load to the welcome to setup screen, that is to say, you have the pc set to
boot from cd, and you have any sata drivers (if any are needed). If so, when
the setup loads to the welcome screen, you press enter for next, then after
the license agreement comes up, give it a minute just to be sure, press f8
to agree. Then, wait for the setup to search for previous installations,
another minute to be sure. After it finishes, it'll show the screen i'm
refering to, press r and it'll start the reinstall/repair process. It's not
a clean install, i think it just replaces any system files that it can't
find or that have been modified/updated... I believe programs, documents,
settings/preferences all stay in place...

HTH, D!J!X!

  _____