RE: Indentation of code

  • From: "Homme, James" <james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 15:34:09 -0400

Hi,
I indent my code because I work with sighted people, and I like to see it in
Braille because it helps my mind chunk the logic of my programs. I indent two
or four spaces. I put the opening left brace on the same line with the control
statement or function. I double space between statement chunks and the right
braces that end functions. I use a special JAWS indentation scheme that plays
piano notes for indentation levels at 2 spaces for up to 8 indentation levels
just in case I need them. I don't so far use a program to clean up my indents.
Maybe I'd be more efficient if I did, but, as I said, I like to feel the
indentation on my Braille display and hear those notes.

It's probably my learning style, but I have a lot of trouble understanding code
when more than one variable is initialized on one line and when people put
their if, then, else statements on one line. I like to press a navigation key
and here one chunk of data.

Thanks.

Jim

Jim Homme,
Usability Services,
Phone: 412-544-1810. Skype: jim.homme
Internal recipients,  Read my accessibility blog. Discuss accessibility here.