Re: How to create/render a relatively usable/accessible GUI in python?

  • From: "Littlefield, Tyler" <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 08:06:07 -0600

I would forget LBC. I couldn't manage to get it working, and wxPython has some amazing sizers and other tools for managing window layout. There is also a gui_library or something that Q wrote that wraps some of wxPython's functionality. I'm not sure if it's open for public, but if so, that might help you quite a lot.

On 8/25/2011 8:01 AM, Alex Hall wrote:
TKinter isn't accessible, at least not on Windows. I would use
WXPython (www.wxpython.org). On Windows, Jamal's LBC module is
incredible (www.empowermentzone.com/pylbc.zip) but I'm not sure if it
is cross-platform. I seem to remember it relying on win32 libraries,
so maybe not. Still, the concepts should get you started.

On 8/25/11, Jacob Kruger<jacobk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Ok, am quite happy/comfortable with the command line interface have been
making use of in python, and do also have quite a bit of GUI/interface
specific information with regard to symbian python, but also just wondering
if anyone has ideas of how to render something like a simple button,
textbox, listbox, etc. interface in python that will work across platforms?

For example, while it seems like Tkinter is the primarily used module for
rendering GUI's, I have now started going through introductory tutorial
material, and thus far, things like buttons etc. don't get recognised by
jaws or NVDA as such - unless that's because haven't gotten to the point
where they really get 'tweaked' too much as of yet, but, still, since don't
want to carry on trying too much with this if I won't be able to actually
make use of this aspect of interface implementation/development?

TIA

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

Take care,
Ty
my website:
http://tds-solutions.net
my blog:
http://tds-solutions.net/blog
skype: st8amnd127
My programs don't have bugs; they're randomly added features!