Re: How much text can go into a registry variable?

  • From: "Bryan Garaventa" <bgaraventa11@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 16:04:13 -0700

Ah, yes. I had a similar thought. Since it's uncertain how many urls will be stored at any given time, likely a sub key called History would work, with each url being added as sub variables. This would also make it easier to clear by deleting the parent key (History).

Inthane,

I thought about using an ini file as well, but it appears to work quite a bit slower than the registry for retrieve/write functionality. Plus it gets slower the larger the ini file becomes.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Bryan
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jamal Mazrui" <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 14:48:18 -0700
From: Bryan Garaventa <bgaraventa11@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: How much text can go into a registry variable?

I have a long list of urls, that I'm currently saving into a key in the
registry. However, urls are being added to this list all the time, and the
string within my History variable is expanding rapidly.

For instance, the list is currently being saved under Software\MyApp, under
the variable name History

I wouldn't want to break the registry though if there is a string size
limit, so thought it might be best to ask, since this list is contained
within one string.