Re: How does Jaws know when a menu item is unavailable?

  • From: Q <q@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 03:23:02 -0400

You're using swt? Call setEnabled(false) on the menu item.
See http://www.java2s.com/Tutorial/Java/0280__SWT/DisableMenuItem.htm
I certainly hope and presume you wish to do this in the standard way and not by sending messages to specific screen readers.

On 6/19/2011 12:26 AM, John J. Boyer wrote:
There should soon be a new release of BrailleBlaster in which the New,
Open, Save as and Translate menu items are active. All the other menu
items are inactive. I would like to send the appropriate message to
screenreaders so they can inform the user of this. What does Jaws look
for to determine if a menu item is available?

Thanks,
John