Re: How Do You Plan An OO Project?

  • From: "tribble" <lauraeaves@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 16:33:46 -0500

Hi Jim and Jamal and all --
When I was working on OO / C++, they had a popular language-independent
technique for the OO newbies and beyond for designing an OO program from
scratch.  It was called CRC cards -- now pretty old, but as I remember it
had some good ideas.  (This was before OO design tools were available.)
CRC i think stood for Classes, Responsibilities and contracts -- or if that
is inaccurate please let me know.  You would start with a very high level
document describing in English what you wanted the program to do, and then
run it through a program to extract all the words in the document, minus the
common words like "and", "the", and the like.
What you are left with are adjectives/adverbs, nouns and verbs etc.
You then go through the adjectives and determine which ones are likely
candidates for class names.  The nouns are object names and verbs are
methods.
Now you grab a gunch of index cards and write a class name on each card, and
determine by some nebulous process how they are related -- both in class
hierarchy and content.  You then write on each card the member methods and
somewhere record contracts between classes of what is expected of each
class, and which classes need to interact with which other classes.
This will result in a huge spec of the program which can then be translated
into code.
I know of at least 2 books on using CRC cards, one of which I read, but
honestly I have never used it myself.  Still the thought process seemed
interesting and plausible.
Anyway, hope that helps.
--le