Here I Am Open Source Screen Reader Project

  • From: "dusty bray" <dusty_bray@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ProgrammingBlind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 14:59:31 -0400

Hi everyone,
i really hope it's okay that i've posted to both lists. i just wanted to make sure that everyone receives my response.

First, i have to comment on the incredibly fast pace of this list! i was surprised to find so many replies in my inbox this morning! And i wasn't sure what to expect, but i can already tell that most of you probably have more knowledge about programming than i do. This is awesome! i think several people here would be assets to an open source project.

Well, i was a little vague about my project, so let me clarify: i guess it's not really intended to be a ?screen reader? in the traditional sense. The idea is a little convoluted, but hear me out. If anyone has tried the prototype, you noticed that it's actually an Internet browser. Most screen readers focus primarily on making the operating system accessible, but i consider this only a subset or an extension of the screen reader's functionality. This model is more concerned with improving communication and navigation in general. Hopping around the screen from control to control, learning keystrokes for every little task-- these methods are tedious to learn, frustrating to use, and have absolutely nothing to do with the way a sighted user operates his machine. i really believe that there are better ways of interacting with information.

Anyway, i want to make a more informed decision on the best language for implementing the project. i agree that a normal screen reader probably wouldn't survive as an open source project, but this model is so simple that i foresee a lot of the code being reusable at the very least. i would like to choose a popular language that a large number of systems recognize. i personally don't want to continue the project in VB.NET, but it's more a matter of principle. Microsoft isn't really a supporter of open source, nor do they support Internet standards. As a low-vision user, i hate Java, but i don't know what the totally-blind consensus is on this language.

i'm disappointed that Source Forge presents a major hurdle, but i should have seen it coming. i even have trouble navigating the site with my visual impairment. i'm open to any suggestions for a more accessible solution, and i will definitely check out Google. i certainly want to accommodate everyone who volunteered for the project.

Oh, and thanks so much, everyone, for making me aware of NVDA. i really wish i had known about it before my brother spent almost $900 on JAWS a few weeks ago...

dusty.......

A place for moms to take a break! http://www.reallivemoms.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM&loc=us