Re: Hand Coding VS IDE Was Java

  • From: "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 21:58:13 +0300

Yes I also agree.

Some WYSIWYG html editors create a pretty clean code when the page is created for the first time, but after the page is modified for more times, it creates a lot of garbage, very many dupplicate html elements which should not be needed, and even html elements which are used for text formatting, but with no text to format.

A professional web site is usually not made by static web pages created manually in an html editor, but it uses more templates which are then interpreted by a server side program which creates the final web page with content extracted from different sources like databases, web services, and others.

There are some good templating systems like Template-Toolkit, HTML::Template, Mason, and a few others for perl, Smarty for PHP and I think that all the languages that can be used for server side programming have one or more templating systems available.

Thinking and creating a web site this way is more simple, because some elements of the web page like menus, headers, footers can be created in a single file then inserted with a single line in more other templates, without needing to dupplicate the html code.

For creating those templates, it is much more simple to use a standard text editor than a WYSIWYG editor.

Octavian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Léonie Watson" <tink@xxxxxxxxxx>