Getting started with java:tips, ideas, etc?

  • From: "Littlefield, Tyler" <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:20:10 -0600

Hello all,
Somewhere recently I apparently fell and hit my head very hard, and I have decided I want to learn Java. I'm also looking into getting an android within the next couple of months as well, and wanted to be able to program for that. So I have a couple of questions. First, what gui package is accessible for us? Second, what sort all will I need to get going with this? I have the JDK already, and have sort of started playing with eclipse. Also, I'm noticing some libraries and packages come in .jar files, which I apparently need to extract if I want to play with the code, then recompile? How does this work? Last, I am curious what sort of projects people have done to get going with Java? I have a lot of c++ experience as well as some c# experience, so I think I just need to get used to the developers randomly changing their naming convention throughout the library and I should be set.

~Ty