Re: Getting started learning VB6

  • From: "RicksPlace" <ofbgmail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 10:27:00 -0500

Ya Jim: I have been out of the business for more years than many listers have
been alive - grin! That said, it never changes.
There is a quantum diference between writing programs and professionally
competing with others in that field.
I thought the original lister was asking about just learning to write programs
- not learning to become a Pro in the field.
No, there is no way I would recommend learning this stuff on one's own without
some formal education and then trying to compete in today's market - that just
sounds foolish to me.
If anyone wants to learn to program - great! There are tutorials out there for
many languages and a person could get quite good working with them on their
own. That is a whole diferent planet than becomming a Professional Programmer
at CISCO, IBM, SI, GE or any other major company where you can make real money
and have some job security if lucky and good at what you do.
By the way, if I ever want to get back into the business I'll call you old
buddy, pal, guru, great leader of men... Grin... Glad you are doing things to
help out. I have not heard from others in various companies or government often
post up jobs for list members who learned on their own without a solid formal
education. I may just have missed those postings over the past 5 or six years
though.
  Rick USA